blogcta3 resized 129

Subscribe via E-mail

Your email:

Follow Me

SIA's Insurance Resource Blog

Current Articles | RSS Feed RSS Feed

How to register a car in Massachusetts


Here is what to do if you are applying for a new Massachusetts registration...

  1. If you purchased your car from a dealer, have them fill out an “RMV-1” form for “registration and title”. If you purchased the car from an out of state dealer, you will want to get in touch with your insurance agent who can complete and stamp the RMV-1 form for you.
  2. Next you will need to have your licensed insurance agent stamp and sign the RMV-1 form for proof of insurance. If you do not yet have insurance, you will need to purchase it before you can register the car. Also, keep in mind that once your form has been stamped, you have 7 DAYS to take the RMV-1 to the registry before the stamp will expire and you will need to get a new RMV-1 completed.
  3. Mass Registration Once you have a completed RMV-1 that has been stamped by your insurance broker, this form must be accompanied by one of the following before you are ready to head down to the RMV:
    1. If you purchased a new vehicle, you should have the manufacturer’s “certificate of origin”.
    2. The previous owner’s certificate of title, or
    3. The previous registration and bill of sale for vehicles exempt because of their age.
  4. Make sure that the title or the “certificate of origin” includes the following information: the date sold, odometer reading, purchase price, and your signature. If all of this paperwork is in order, you are now ready to go to RMV. Keep in mind that many insurance agents and dealers are willing to take your paperwork to the RMV for you, saving you from what can be a frustrating and time consuming trip.

One more thing to keep in mind: the fees. A 6.25% sales tax will be collected when you go to the registry, based on the purchase price of the vehicle. In addition, there is also a $75 fee for a new registration, as well as a $50 fee for new plates (assuming these are normal series plates and not vanity or special plates). If you are transferring plates from your old vehicle to a new vehicle, the fee is $25 instead of $50. You will receive new plates and a receipt of registration at the RMV, as well as a expiration sticker for your rear plate. Your title will be processed and mailed to you. 


If I am transferring title of my car to a family member and it has vanity plates can the plates be reasoned?
Posted @ Wednesday, June 06, 2012 10:10 PM by Clay
thank you for this friendly info. It helps.
Posted @ Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:35 AM by aepril
As a dealer from fl im selling a vehicle to someone in Mass. how can I get the car register in Mass.? what I need to do? how much is it going to cost? where can I get the forms?
Posted @ Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:01 PM by Dealer
What if I'm not purchasing from a dealer and I'm purchasing from a private party? Do I still need RMV form? Can I wait on getting the insurance and registration?- I'm waiting to take the road test and get my license ( a second time)??
Posted @ Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:48 PM by Rachel
What happens if the dealer i bought my car from registers my car with a totally different rmv1 form filled out, without my signature, and with a stamp that is not from my insurance agent? Cause that is what is happening to me right now, and it is a nightmare... it is illegal right? Where can I find it somewhere written to show them that this is against the law? Thanks in advance.
Posted @ Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:29 PM by Angelina M.
I actually worked with an insurance agent who did all this for me. The entire process ran smoothly thanks to him. Thanks for highlighting this though.
Posted @ Friday, November 29, 2013 1:46 PM by Newton MA Insurance
I am selling a car to someone in FL. Can I register the car for him so it will be ready when he gets here?
Posted @ Sunday, December 29, 2013 12:30 PM by lindamush
Car insurance is very necessary for the car operators. It will help to get back the recovery money of the car if it is stolen or damaged in accident. <a href ="">Cheapest Car Insurance California
Posted @ Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:47 AM by Stanley Smith
Post Comment
Website (optional)

Allowed tags: <a> link, <b> bold, <i> italics