Protect Your Home Against Break-Ins
By MAPFRE Insurance
Between youth out of school and summer vacations, home thefts rise in the summer. Most burglaries take place between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. One in 36 homes are burglarized annually.
Here are some theft prevention tips:
- Lock doors and windows. Seems obvious, but thieves aren’t shy about checking to see if your doors are locked and walking right into your home.
- Lock up valuables. Burglars look for cash, jewelry, and weapons most commonly and usually go straight to the master bedroom to find it. They will search common hiding spots: drawers, closets and under mattresses.
- Install cameras. Consider installing smart, motion-activated home security cameras that can alert you on your phone when it detects motion.
- Be careful when away. Homes typically are targeted when residents are away. Stop mail delivery during a vacation, hire someone to mow your lawn, and don’t post your vacation photos or vacation status to social media until you return.
- Keep a home inventory. If you are a victim of a robbery, you will want to file a claim and will need proof of ownership. One way to do so, is to record a video home inventory. Capture serial numbers of electronics and keep receipts of major purchases, such as electronics and jewelry.
Have a safe and enjoyable summer!
If you have questions about the coverages on your homeowners policy, please give us a call at 781-893-3200, email us at www.stantonins.com or message us on our Facebook page!